Tuesday 10 September 2013

Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express Mascara WATERPROOF


Until recently the idea of a waterproof mascara has never appealed to me. However, during the past summer months I have been dipping into the pool quite a bit both on holiday and at home (not an outdoor one, I live in Scotland, I'm talking a heated indoor pool but still refreshing when its warm) and so I decided to try this more affordable mascara by Maybelline. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this drugstore option because I've only ever used high end mascaras in the past but I was absolutely blown away!







It comes in a beautiful plastic purple/fuschia tube with blue writing to advertise itself as the waterproof option on the shelf. You get 9ml of product and each tube will last you 6 months once opened before expiration. It also only comes in one colour, black noir and is very durable in the makeup bag making it great for travelling. This retails for £7.99 from all leading pharmacies and is often on offer. 


Here are the results from my application just this morning:






I styled this mascara with eyeshadows from Rimmel's Smokey Brun eyeshadow quad, maybelline gel eyeliner and MAC's nylon in the inner corner as a highlight. This mascara really lives up to its name, there is no need to wear falsies with this! Obviously, this will not give you a subtle lash look but it is perfect for night time or for those who enjoy a dramatic look like I certainly do. For this reason, it is also great when worn on its own on those no makeup days when you just need a pick me up. It lengthens like a dream and also provides a fair amount of volume to the lashes. I found that when applied to the upper lashes it does not smudge on me at all whether swimming or not. However, if I apply this to my lower lashes it will smudge slightly underneath my lower lash line after about 4 hours but most mascaras have this affect on me and it wipes away easily. There is slight clumping but I would not call this a clumpy mascara and I enjoy the volumised and smokey effect that this can provide. 








The fibre wand makes this product so effective, it is truly unique. The slight dip just before the brush that you can see in the picture above is a hinge. This means that instead of being stiff, the brush moves to coat each lash allowing for a more flexible, controlled and very quick application. This acts perfectly with the pro-keratin formula to lift, separate and volumise the lashes dramatically. Not only this, but the wand is curved to accommodate the shape of the eye and to reach every lash. Let me know in the comments below if you have ever tried this! 


THE BIG WATERPROOF QUESTION: HOW DO YOU TAKE IT OFF?!

It is no secret that waterproof mascara is stubborn and most of us are put off by that inevitable battle between the cotton pad and the eyes at the end of the night. Luckily, there are lots of waterproof eye makeup removers on the market at the moment and I have reviewed my favourite by L'Oréal on my previous blog post. If you do not have one of these, micellar waters can work wonders and any balm cleanser will dissolve this mascara effortlessly, no need to viciously scrub it off! Just be sure to hold the cotton pad to your eye for a good 30 seconds before GENTLY wiping away!




***Disclaimer: None of the companies mentioned are sponsoring me to make this blog post. All products mentioned have been purchased by myself with my own money. All opinions are 100% honest and my own.***

No comments:

Post a Comment