Tuesday 24 September 2013

My Favourite Hair Oils


During the past few years there has been a huge rise in the hair oil trend. While in the past, hair oils have been thought to create a greasy and heavy look to the hair, they have come a long way. We now have lighter, multi faceted oils for the hair that can multitask as both a leave-in conditioner, a styling product, a frizz tamer, a shine spray, a heat protectant, it can pro long your colour and it can protect your hair from damage such as split ends. To be honest, I don't know how I ever survived without a hair oil during my teens!

There are so many different versions out there, from the ever famous argan oil to macadamia, coconut, avocado, olive, sweet almond and so many more. I LOVE using virgin coconut oil on damp hair and leaving it on for a few hours as a deep treatment or mixing olive oil with honey to create a deep treatment (comment below if you would like a blog post on my favourite deep treatments for hair). However, here are the styling oils that I swear by on an everyday basis:

(Just for the record, I have frizzy, coloured, processed, dry and damaged hair as I previously rocked the blonde look and had it bleached and highlighted on a regular basis! I know...its weird paying for someone to damage your hair, but I loved being blonde...RIP my beautiful blonde locks. My hair is also quite porous and so I can apply quite a lot of product and it almost never feels heavy on my hair.)









First up is (of course) the MoroccanOil Argan Oil. I had my first experience with this oil when my hairdresser mixed this in with my toner (after my hair had been bleached) and then as a finishing oil and I just couldn't believe the difference it made. This product honestly transforms my hair to provide a frizz-free, smooth appearance and beautiful shine. My hair just feels so incredibly soft and moisturised when I use this. It has the most sexy scent that is quite difficult to describe, quite musky I suppose and completely addictive, I love that this scent lingers in the hair! I use this when my hair is wet before blowdrying as it detangles the hair effortlessly as well as reducing drying time by around 40%. If my hair is feeling particularly dry, if I've been swimming or if the seasons are changing, I will also run a tiny bit through the ends of my hair once dry to protect them and to reduce frizz. This is so expensive at over £30 for an 100ml bottle so I probably wouldn't have purchased this if my hair wasn't damaged but now I really couldn't be without it. My 100ml bottle has lasted me for almost a year and I still have a quarter of it left so I personally think it is well worth the investment as you literally need to use the smallest amount. For those of you who don't have coloured hair, there is also a lighter version of this available. It comes in a glass bottle with a pump which allows for a controlled dosage which is definitely a bonus. 







Next up is my beloved Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment. If I had to choose just one hair oil to use for the rest of my life I would choose this one. Although the bottle looks smaller than the Morroccan Argan Oil one, it actually holds more product and is 125ml. Not only this but it is much cheaper, I found this on Amazon for only £12.99. This smells irresistible, I love using this before a date or on those special occasions. This is so lightweight that I tend to apply this to the ends of my hair on an everyday basis just to provide a bit of moisture and protection to my dry ends as they tend to get dryer the longer I go between washes while the roots get oilier. Additionally, I like to mix this in with any deep conditioning treatments or when my hair is damp before blow drying and as a finishing serum. This also comes in a bottle with a spray cap however I prefer the control gained through a pump. You can't go wrong with this one, I would recommend this for all hair types! 







L'Oréal Extraordinary Oil for Coloured Hair 100ml, £9.99. First of all, this bottle is glass and also very heavy so if you want an oil to travel with, this will not be a good choice. Although this can be used for a plethora of purposes, I personally use this oil in my shower to protect my damaged ends and to prolong my hair colour. This is perfect to douse over the ends of your hair once wet before you use shampoos, especially those clarifying shampoos or those that contain a lot of drying sulphates (these will be the shampoos that look clear and foam up). This will coat the ends so that they cannot be dried out by any harsh shampoos. Another reason why I use this one in my shower is that it doesn't smell too nice...a bit chemical smelling and also it is quite heavy to use as a styling oil in my humble opinion. However, the heaviness makes it perfect for an intense treatment in the shower and the heat from the shower steam allows it to penetrate the hair follicles. This is also lovely when mixed with your everyday conditioner. They also have another version of this for hair that has never been coloured. A must have for me, this is my fourth bottle! 









***Disclaimer: None of the companies mentioned are sponsoring me to make this blog post. All products have been purchased by myself with my own money. All opinions are 100% honest and my own.***

2 comments:

  1. I love moroccanoil:D it's great;) I really like your blog too:)
    Gaja xx
    http://it-sacrazylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a great luxury product! I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog :) Thanks for your lovely comment Gaja x

      Delete